Wednesday, February 19, 2014

When you need to choose joy

I'm linking up at Holley Gerth's place today for Coffee for Your Heart. She has the prompt, "what brings you joy?" I'm also linking up at Three Word Wednesday

Here is my story.




When I was ten I got my first horse. His name was Prince and he was tall, dark and handsome. 







At ten years old, I thought he was majestic and I remember being a little terrified of getting on him. I was so short I couldn't reach the stirrup to climb up to the saddle, so my dad had to give me a boost.

Prince was a gentleman with his new cowgirl. When I nudged his ribs with my heels, he'd go forward. When I'd press the reins on the left side of his neck, he'd turn right. When I'd pull back on them, he'd slow or stop.

Oh, the joy and freedom I felt perched up on Prince's saddle!

But, I only had Prince a very short time.




I went to stay with my mom in Iowa, and when I returned the next season, Prince was gone. 

My dad told me that Prince had gotten out of his fence and gotten into a field of alfalfa, and had gotten deathly ill from eating that grain.

My ten year old heart was crushed. Even now, I feel the pang of disappointment.

Exhilarating joy, to crushing disappointment. Oh, what extremes our hearts endure in a lifetime! 



This current of highs and lows in my young life had already begun before this tragedy, and would continue from this moment on.


Highs and lows.
Joys and sorrows.

What do I choose to dwell on? 

If I choose to dwell on the sorrow of losing Prince, it overshadows the joy I experienced in having him. 

Healthy grief is necessary, yes. There is a definite place for that and I don't minimize that. 

But then, with time, my heart has to turn toward the light. 

Toward the memories that bring joy.



Joy should not be sequestered to the back corner of my heart and hidden away just because I've had disappointments and sorrow.


It is only in sifting through my disappointments and sorrows that I can learn to dwell more on the joy.

The joy that adds strength to my mind, soul and body.

When I remember my beautiful horse, Prince, I choose to remember the good.

I remember the surprise when my dad presented him to me as a gift.
I remember the love I felt from a father to a daughter.
I remember how I felt riding him, with my hair blowing in the wind.
I remember how gentle he was with me.

I choose joy.

Blessings friends,








4 comments:

  1. Anne- what a touching story. So often I forget the choice I have to be joyful. It's so easy to justify my bad attitude instead. Thank you for the reminder I really needed. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! Thanks so much for your comment. I'm glad my story could help someone else. I need this reminder daily, to choose joy. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful story and since my One Word this year is JOY I really appreciated this post. I'm glad you found your way to Three Word Wednesday. I hope you are able to join us again tomorrow. ~ I choose JOY!!
    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Beth! I'm planning to join tomorrow! Blessings to you!

      Delete