Friday, September 20, 2013

Because she could let go

Today, I'm linking up with a community of encouraging writers at Lisa Jo Baker's blog for Five Minute Friday. The prompt is "she". Writing for just five minutes straight. From the heart. No need to be perfect, just sharing our hearts through words.  Won't you join in?





I only saw her three times in my life. 



Grandma Edith in a sea of flowers


She raised my dad until he was sixteen and then somehow, some way, said good bye to him as he followed his dream. His dream took him across the vast ocean to the land of “freedom rings” and the home of the brave. How could her mother heart allow that? How could she watch her oldest son leave and not know when she would see him again?

I only saw her three times but she has taught me much. 

Even though the three times I saw her, there was a language barrier . She speaking Swedish and I speaking English. My dad was the translator.

She smiled.

She laughed big. 

Her voice was warm and loving. 

And I knew by the letters she sent my dad in America that she loved him more than I can explain.

I’m not sure how she could let him go. Her oldest son. But, she did, and I am here as living proof. I’m glad she let him make the trip.


Grandma Edith, Dad and Grandpa Gustav on one of  Dad's visits home



From her I’ve learned the art of letting go of someone you love in order to let them find their dream. 

I’ve learned of love, grace and love of God.


Blessings to you Grandma Edith. Until we meet again.




How about you? Do you find it hard to let go? I do.

Five Minute Friday

I have a post about my dad's trip to America at age sixteen here at my blog, A Ready Listener.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful tribute. A true reminder that we can touch lives briefly and yet touch them deeply.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words! Yes, well said.

      Delete